Scarsdale New York History
The Westchester County Genealogical Society published a series of articles in its monthly newsletter that gave an overview of each county town. The West Chester County Historical Society also has extensive manuscripts that provide information about the many ancient cemeteries throughout the county. For an index of naturalizations in our district, please visit the New York State Department of Immigration and Naturalization website.
The African American cemetery was listed as Westchester County's Tercentennial Historic Site in 1983 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2003. Today, with over 1000 graves, it is one of the largest and most important cemeteries in the county.
It is also the location of the acclaimed interactive play "Pursuit of Freedom," which is offered free to all Westchester County middle schools. Bus rides and cultural excursions through New York State parks are also free. John Jay Homestead is a National Historic Landmark, patronized by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and the National Park Service and operated by the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of New Jersey.
Historians believe the Wayside dates back to 1715, making it one of the oldest surviving residences in New York City. The Scarsdale Park / Arthur Manor area is home to the sheer concentration of historic residences (69) and stands out nationally as "Arthur Manor." Some were built in 1939 or earlier, others much earlier, but all date back to the late 19th century.
European hands, most of the area now called Scarsdale, is European, and it is also interesting to note that large individual parcels of land have existed in New York City at least since the late 19th century, if not earlier.
Eventually, the estate covered 6,000 acres and stretched from Long Island Sound to what is now just a small village called East Chester. Because Scarsdale had no access to navigable waterways, it fell into the trap of being bounded by both Long Island Sound and the Hudson River. The city's fortunes improved in 1846, when the connection to the Bronx River Valley began, and a small red schoolhouse followed in 1863. In 1866 Quaker Ridge, which belonged to the third district, became a new Scardale, the second district, which further educated its young people.
The 1863 building was replaced in the 1940s, and the driving force behind the library was the effort to raise $100,000 after the village rejected a bond issue to finance the building in 1938. Plans were drawn up, a restorer engaged and the year-long exterior renovation of the buildings began at the end of 2007.
However, it seems that the city was once part of a larger area left to an Indian owner of whom little is known except for John Richbell, a native Englishman. By the end of the century, it was bought by her husband, who established a claim for nine miles (three miles on average) of land between Long Island Sound and the Bronx River, located on the west side of the Hudson River in New York City.
After the Revolutionary War, the people who had emancipated themselves from slavery settled on the rough, stony hills where Harrison, North Castle and White Plains met. This community, also known as the Hills, was home to an emerging free African-American class. In 1846, the New York and Harlem Railroad connected Scarsdale with New York City, leading to an influx of commuters. After the Revolutionary War, some of these people, emancipated from slavery, settled in the hills where the Rough and Stony Hills met the Harrisson and North castles of the White Plains. In 1847, after the completion of the new Hudson River Bridge and the construction of a new subway line to Manhattan, this community was also known as "The Hills," one of the wealthiest and most affluent areas. Until 1845 it was home to many immigrants from Africa, Europe and Asia.
A generation later, James Fenimore Cooper, who married Caleb Heathcote's great-granddaughter and lived at Angevine Farm on Mamaroneck Road at the time, gave the story of those turbulent days a permanent place in literature. Cooper, who lived in Scarsdale, wrote "The Spy," the first American novel, after hearing a story that reminded him of an aging John Jay. Jay was the founder of the Manumission Society of New York, which campaigned for the abolition of slavery and the transatlantic slave trade. He also helped found the "first free schools in Africa" to teach the children of emancipated men and women.
On April 26, 1928, the regents of New York State issued a charter that included the library, and the driving force behind it was an attempt to raise $100,000 before the village rejected a bond issue to finance the building in 1938.
In 1968, Ken founded CAP, gained admission privileges at Lawrence Montefiore Hospital and began his career as an assistant professor of medicine at the University of New York School of Medicine. One of them is Ken's father - in - law, a well-known New York City banker who was instrumental in the design of the first public library in the United States, the New Jersey State Library in Newark.